This is from the writing group I attend, and it’s the first time I’ve tried to create an exercise myself. Feel free to try it yourself, or share it , tried to make it pretty open ended so people can put their own spin on it, and would be happy to see anything inspired by it if you’d like to post it here or link to it on your own blog.
Recommended time 15 minutes
Take a journey you have been on in your life, or one that you would like to go on, or worry about going on- either one place to another or metaphorically- one state of being or state of mind to another, and imagine the places being on either end of a river- even if they’re in completely different places.
Now imagine yourself taking that journey along the river.
What is it like? Think about
- the flow of the water,
- the weather,
- what is carrying you? Is it a boat, does it have a name?
- Do you see anything in the water? Is it in your way, is it difficult to proceed?
- Is there anyone or anything encouraging on the riverbank?
- How do you feel as you get further down the river..?
- How far along the river do you think you are, have you made it to the end or do you still have a way to go? How will you feel if or when you get there?
Describe all this in poem, prose, however it comes to you.